After I make them, I wrap each one in foil and then place about five in a gallon size ziplock freezer bag. Then I place them in the freezer. When I want to use one or two, I pull them out of the freezer, unwrap them, and defrost them in the microwave. My favorite sandwich that I make with them is a chicken patty, muenster cheese, and a tiny bit of olive oil based mayo. Yum!
Homemade Hamburger Buns
via Hun . . . What's For Dinner??
Stars of the recipe:
- 3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 T instant yeast
- Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients—by hand, mixer, or bread machine—to make a soft, smooth dough. - I do it in the bread machine.
- If doing it by hand or mixer, cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 hour, or until it's doubled in bulk.
- Gently deflate the dough, and divide it into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round 1" thick (more or less); flatten to about 3" across. Place the buns on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour, until very puffy. - I divide mine into 12 pieces.
- If desired, brush buns with melted butter. Or brush lightly with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water), and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. - I omit this part
- Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, till golden. Cool on a rack.
Makes 8 to 12 buns.
To defrost, place on a microwave plate. Heat it up for a minute at 70% power. If not defrosted, heat it up for 30 second intervals at 70% power.
This post has been linked up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays and Colleen's Kitchen Recipe Swap.