Today I will post the basic mix. After I try successful add-ins, I will post the recipes so that you can bake a bunch of different types of muffins using one mix.
All Star Muffin Mix
Stars of the recipe:
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of melted butter (1 stick) - When I did it, I melted it in the microwave for a minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- Divide the mix into 2 and 3/4 cup portions.
To prepare muffins
- Place 2-3/4 cups muffin mix in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 400° for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
You can make a batch of the plain muffins and then flash freeze** them. When you are ready to eat a muffin, place it on a microwavable plate and warm it up at 40% power for a minute. If it is still not defrosted, continue warming it up at 30 second intervals.
**To flash freeze, put the muffins on a cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer until the muffins are frozen. Then place the muffins in a labeled gallon size freezer bag.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins
This recipe has been posted on Mommy's Kitchen's Potluck Sunday.