Oct 10, 2010

Mock Thin Mints

For the past ten or so years, I've baked cookies or made candy for Christmas.  It is a tradition that was started by my grandma and mom.  I can remember past Christmases where they made various types of cookies and candy.  They would then package them up and give them to friends and family for Christmas presents.

Since Christmas is quickly approaching, I've need to start think of my baking/candy making list.  The goodies I made last year really hit the spot so I'm thinking I'm going to be making most of those types of cookies/candy if not all of them.  I've decided to do a post a week of these goodies in preparation for the Christmas baking season.

The first Christmas "cookie," I'm posting is Mock Thin Mints.  My MOPs group does a cookie exchange every December.  A few years ago, one of the ladies brought these. I quickly fell in love with them.

Last year, I made them.  My mother-in-law, a girl scout advisor, tasted them.  She could not believe they were made from Ritz crackers.  She told me that they tasted just like Thin Mints.  Coming from her, that was a compliment.

Stars of the recipe



  • Bag of chocolate chips

  • 1 tsp. of mint extract

  • 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers

  • crushed candy canes


Steps:



  1. Put a bag of chocolate chips with a teaspoon of mint extract in a microwavable bowl.

  2. Melt the chocolate chips at 75% power for 1 minute. Stir. If not melted, put it in the microwave for 30 secs at a time, stirring each time, until the chips are melted.

  3. Dip Ritz crackers into the melted chocolate and then place them on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper or foil.

  4. Put crushed candy canes on top.

  5. Let the chocolate harden and then put the cookies in a container. 

3 comments:

I enjoy hearing from you!