While cooking, the smell is intoxicating. Your mouth will start to water from anticipation of eating this delicious dish.
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 - 16 oz box of spaghetti
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, separated
- 8 slices bacon or pancetta, diced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 c. dry white wine (optional)
- 2 eggs betaten
- 2 Tbs. heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
- extra grated Parmesan cheese of garnish
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti until al dente. Drain well and reserve a bit of pasta water. Toss with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, start cooking the bacon. Cook chopped bacon until slightly crisp; remove and drain onto paper towels.
- Reserve 2 Tsp. of bacon fat; add remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil and heat in resused large skillet,
- Add chopped onion and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add wine if desired; cook one more minute.
- Return cooked bacon to pan; add cooked and drained spaghetti.
- Toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together.
- To ensure a creamy, silky sauce, mix the cheese, cream, and beaten egg toghter then stir into the pasta, off eggs are barely set.
- If the mixture is too thick add a bit of reserved pasta water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with chopped arsley sprinkled on top, and extra Parmesan cheese at the table.
Happy eating, Traci