Everyone was impressed with the not pecan pie bars. It looked like real pecans were part of the topping and it was not too salty. My sister-in-law who is allergic to nuts enjoyed them. Even my brother-in-law gave me a compliment on how good they were. I ended up sending the rest of the batch home with them.
You first need to make the Bar Cookie Crust
Stars of the Bar Cookie Crust
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, cut up
- Place flour, sugar, salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press crumbs firmly into bottom and 1/4 inch up the sides of a greased (I use my pan release mixture from my local candy/cake supply store.) 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Stars of the recipe for the Not Pecan Pie Bars
- 1 Bar Cookie Crust
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c. Karo, Light or Dark
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 T. butter or margarine, melted
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/3 c. broken pretzels sticks (I put them in a bag and then smashed them with the smooth side of my meat tenderizer. A lot of frustrations were worked out.)
Steps for the Not Pecan Pie Bars:
- While the cookie bar crust is baking, beat eggs, Karo, sugar, butter or margarine, and vanilla together in a large bowl. (I used my stand mixer.)
- Stir in pretzels.
- Pour over hot crust, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees 20 minutes or until filling is firm around edges and slightly firm in center.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!