Dec 19, 2012

Christmas Baking

IMG_0260Every year I bake and create Christmas goodies.  My grandma used to do the same thing and then share with family and friends.  I have her bench she used to pile the containers onto and the Kitchen aid mixer she used to whip up the batches of delicious cookies.  Once I was an adult living in a place where I could bake, I started the tradition.  I have my tied and true cookies I bake every year and then I try new recipes.

Four years ago, I lost my grandma on Christmas Eve.  For five days before her death, my family sat by her bedside.  When I couldn't be there, I baked and created in my kitchen as a way to keep my mind off of losing her.  I then brought the goodies with me when I was at the nursing home.  The family shared the treats.  It was a wonderful way to honor her.

On Christmas Eve of 2008, after everyone had left the nursing home when God welcomed her home.  I was at the Christmas Eve service when I got the call that she had died.  I remember breaking down into tears.  Grandma so loved Christmas that she took her last breath the night before Jesus' birth.

Another tradition we hold dear is baking a cake, cupcakes, or brownies to celebrate Jesus' birth.  We sing "Happy Birthday" to him as a way to remember him.  The tradition started when the Imaginative One was a baby and has continued ever since.  However I was introduced to the concept almost 20 years ago.  I had worked at McDonald's as a college student and was trained to host birthday parties.  One party I hosted was a birthday party for Jesus.  It was held during the holiday season and stuck with me.

The Wee One and I were baking snickerdoodles right before Thanksgiving.  His words were that it smelled like Christmas.  His memories of Christmas are going to include the smell of cinnamon.

My children are going to remember peanut butter blossoms, snickerdoodles, and Rolo turtles as being part of their holiday season. 

For more Christmas or holiday baking ideas, please visit my Christmas/holiday page or click on the link. 

Have a great holiday season from my house to yours!

IMG_2323

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!