This macaroni and cheese warms your soul and is also healthier then the boxed stuff. So I was happy to serve it to my family. :)
The Imaginative One said it was good. Hubby went and took a second helping so that must mean he loved it.
Healthier Mac and Cheese
Stars of the recipe:
- 12 oz. high fiber pasta (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste rotini. You can use whole wheat pasta if you want.)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. flour (I used white whole wheat.)
- 1/4 c. minced onion
- 2 c. skim milk
- 1 c. chicken broth (I used 1 c. water with a chicken bullion cube.)
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- salt and pepper
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 1/4 c. panko bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile spray a baking dish with butter flavor cooking spray.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt the butter.
- Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add milk and chicken broth and continuing whisking. Raise the heat to medium heat until it begins to boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the milk mixture becomes thick, remove the skillet fro the the heat, add the cheese and mix until cheese is melted.
- Drain the macaroni and put back in the pot. Add the spinach and cheese sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour into baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take the dish out, spray with a little more butter flavored cooking spray on the top.
- Broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.