My hubby was a little skeptical when he saw the rice. He typically loves rice but is not a big fan of the spices used in Mexican cooking. I let him know that I used a little less then what the recipe called for. Once he tried it, he told me that it was good. The Wee One also told me that he thought it was good.
Stars of the recipe:
- 3 Tbsp. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 c. onion chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 c. green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 c. long grain rice (or brown rice)
- 2 c. chicken broth (if using brown rice add extra water)
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin (I used less.)
- Saute onion, garlic, and green pepper in oil until transparent.
- Add rice and brown until lightly browned.
- Mix the rest of ingredients and add to pan.
- Cook and cover 20-25 miutes (longer closer to 45 minutes for brown rice).
I did steps 1 and 2 in the a skillet. Then I put the onion, garlic, green pepper, rice and the rest of the ingredients in my rice cooker. I let my rice cooker finish the cooking.
Possible toppings: Sour cream and cheddar cheese - Delicious combination