May 27, 2011

Grandma's White Salad

I have so many memories of this salad.  One of my best memories is from when I worked in Walt Disney World in 1995.  My grandma sent me various family recipes so that I could have a little bit of home while down there.  When Thanksgiving time came, I decided I would make a Thanksgiving meal for my friends and I to share.  We had a Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings except we had chicken instead of turkey.  One of the dishes I made was white salad.  For two weeks afterward, I would take portions of the Thanksgiving meal to work for my lunches.

That Thanksgiving weekend was also the weekend I almost met Rider Strong and Ben Savage from Boy Meets World.  At Disney-MGM Studios, now Hollywood Studios, they would have celebrities put their hands in cement at the Chinese Theater.  Both Rider and Ben put their hands in the cement and then went to have a talk.  I "ran" along side of their convertible as they traveled between venues and then ended up sitting behind their families.  Too bad, Fred Savage was not there.  I would have gone up and said hi to him.
My Grandma's White Salad


The stars of the recipe:

  • 1 sm. lemon or lime  jello
  • 2 c. hot water
  • 1 8 oz. package of  cream cheese
  • 1- 15 oz. can of crushed pineapple drained '
  • 1 and 2/3 c. mini marshmallows
  • 1 and ½ c. chopped pecans or walnuts (My grandma used pecans.)
  • 1 container of cool whip.
Steps:
  1. Mix jello with water.  Add cream cheese and beat until smooth.
  2. Put in fridge until semi solid.  Remove and then put in the rest of the ingredients. 
  3. Chill.

Or how my grandma made it:

  1. Mix jello with water.  Add cream cheese and beat until smooth.
  2. Put the rest in ingredients in a in flat pan (9 by 13 glass dish).  Put it in the fridge to chill.
This post has been linked to Eat at Home's ingredient spotlight.
Happy eating, Traci

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!