Feb 17, 2012

Toffee Brownies

We planned a weekend getaway. The boys and I both had four days off this weekend because of President's Day and parent-teacher conference comp. day. So we decided to take a road trip to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I haven't been back to Pittsburgh in 2.5 years so it was time to visit it again. I love this place. Maybe not the driving because it can get crazy.

I decided to make some cookies and brownies for the trip. You can't go wrong with some yummy treats. Tonight I went to visit my aunt and took the container of brownies and the Peanut Butter Cups Chocolate Cookies to her house. She raved over the brownies as she reached for a second one. Then she told me they were the best brownies she had eaten. She couldn't believe I made them from scratch.

Toffee Brownies

20120220-083524.jpg

Adapted from Food Network Magazine March 2012


Stars of the recipe:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 c. granulated sugar (I used 1/2 cup agave nectar instead.)
  • 3/4 c. light brown sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup of toffee chips, divided

Steps:
  1. In a saucepan, melt butter and semi sweet chocolate chips over low heat, stirring.
  2. Off the heat, whisk in light brown sugar and granulated sugar (or agave nectar).
  3. Cool slightly.
  4. Whisk in eggs, one at a time.
  5. Stir in vanilla.
  6. Stir in flour and salt.
  7. Fold in 1/2 cup of toffee chips (Heath bar chips).
  8. Spread into a 13 by 9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  9. Top with 1/4 cup of toffee chips.
  10. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes.





2 comments:

  1. You have a gift for making special treats Traci, and a generous loving heart to share them. :) Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you!