If you are wondering what a BELT bagel sandwich was, the letters stand for bacon, egg, lettuce, and tomato. The sandwich was suppose to have to have cheese on it but I usually opted not to have the cheese on it.
Now I don't stop there as often. When I do, it's now on my way home from work instead of on the way to work. I usually get the iced coffee or hot coffee and either a cherry cheese danish or a plain bagel toasted with butter.
So when I saw a recipe for danishes on Finding Joy in My Kitchen, I knew I needed to try to make it. However I didn't want the apples on it. So I changed up the recipe to be Cherry Cheese Danishes.
My husband, another relative, and one of my students all gave the seal of approval. (My student saw me eating one for breakfast and asked if he could try some. I normally don't share my food but because he's worked really hard for me I let him have a taste. That's all he got - a teaser taste.)
Cherry Cheese Danishes
based on a recipe from Finding Joy in my Kitchen
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 cup flour (I used white whole wheat.)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 C. butter
- 1.5 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 c. milk + 1 tsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 oz. cream chees
- 1.5 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the butter using forks or a pastry cutter. (Cut the butter into smaller pieces before cutting it into the flour mixture.)
- Cut in the cream cheese following the same method.
- Pour in the milk and vanilla. Stir until the dough become clumpy.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts and shape them into a small circle.
- Shape the circles so the edges are slightly raised. Place on a greased cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper that has been greased.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle on the crust.
- Combine the powdered sugar and cream cheese for the filling. Put about 1 Tbsp. of the mixture on the crust. (You may need to spread it out a little bit.)
- Sppon about 3 cherries and the cherry "sauce" on each crust.
- Bake at 425 minutes for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 and bake for 3 to 4 minutes.