Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
Stars of the recipe:
- 3/4 c. butter, softened (1.5 sticks)
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c.molasses (original)
- 2 c. flour (all purpose or white whole wheat)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Chinese five spice or 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground ginger, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- granulated sugar for rolling cookies - I also used colored sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Add molasses, mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Chill dough overnight.
- Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar.
- Place two inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Allow cookies to cool for 2 minuts before removing to a wire rack.