J. and wife had their first baby in September. Since they live in Canada and we live in Ohio, we had not met baby S until last night. He is totally cute and very long for his age. J. is a tall man so it's not too surprising.
Since we were going to meet up with J., wife, and baby S., I knew there was going to be Christmas goodies there. J. wouldn't be able to enjoy the goodies so I decided to make him a batch of vegan brownies so he could enjoy some Christmas goodies.
These are very rich so a tall glass of water, milk, tea, or coffee is in order when you eat a piece!
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 c. sugar (This may be reduced to 1 1/2 c. sugar or if you use Truvia baking mix, use 3/4 c.)
- 1 c. applesauce
- 1 banana mashed (I used my mashed potato masher.)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large size bowl, mix together the apple sauce, banana, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Warning: the batter is going to be thick.
- Pour into a greased 8 by 8 pan or 9 by 9 pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes and then check to see if the brownies are done baking. (Mine took longer when I checked.)
- Cool and then cut into pieces.
- Enjoy with milk, water, coffee, or hot tea.