Jan 8, 2013

Buttermilk Doughnuts

Who doesn't like a good doughnut?  As part of my resolution to keep making healthy choices, doughnuts don't fall into that category.  However, I healthified (my new catch phrase - I guess) them a little bit and Sno from Finding Joy in my Kitchen is excellent about providing food that is healthy and fulfilling.

The Imaginative One took one taste and declared it as no taste.  However he only took one small taste so he's opinion doesn't count.  My mother-in-law and father-in-law tried them and told me they were delicious.  

These would be great baked and then frozen for easy breakfasts.  If you freeze them, don't put any topping on them until you serve them.

P.S.  You need a doughnut pan like this or this.  I used the second so my doughnuts were smaller.  

Buttermilk Doughnuts


Finding Joy in My Kitchen


IMG_0513

Stars of the recipe:

  • 2 c. white whole wheat flour

  • 4 Tbsp. corn starch

  • 2 tsp. baking powder

  • 1/2 c. sugar (I used 1/4 c. Truvia baking blend instead.)

  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg (I used Chinese 5 spice.)  Use more depending on your taste

  • 1/2 tsp. salt

  • 3/4 c. buttermilk (Or 3/4 c. milk with a 1 Tbsp. vinegar)

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 Tbsp. melted butter (I used 1 1/2 tsp. unsweetened applesauce.)

  • 1 tsp. vanilla


Steps:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

  2. Measure out the flour into a mixing bowl.  Remove 4 Tbsp. of the flour and put back in flour container/bag.  Replace that 4 Tbsp. with 4 Tbsp. of cornstarch.  Using either a flour sifter, wire whisk, or a mixer (put mine on low), blend the cornstarch and flour.  It becomes whole wheat cake flour.

  3. Add the sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt to the flour.  Sift or whisk together.  (I used the mixer on low.)

  4. Pour in the buttermilk and butter (or applesauce).  Add in the eggs and vanilla.  Beat the wet and dry ingredients until combined.

  5. Fill the doughnut molds, 1/2 full with the batter.  (I sprayed mine down with cooking spray before putting batter in the mold.)

  6. Bake at 375 for 10 -12 minutes.  After letting cool for about 5 minutes, remove them to a cooling rack to completely cool.

  7. Add toppings.

  8. Enjoy!


Possible toppings:  Make a simple glaze of powdered sugar, vanilla, and water, chocolate frosting, spray with a butter mist and then add either cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!