The other night, the Wee One handed me a box and asked me what was in it. As I looked through it, I found blank cards and recipe cards. The treasure was two recipe cards written by my grandma. She died Christmas Eve of '08 so it was nice to see her handwriting one more time.
My aunt Janet was actually my grandpa's sister so technically she was my great aunt. I still called her aunt without the great. We spent a lot of time with her. She and my Uncle Mitch had a farm that had willow trees and a pond. I remember going up to the farm for family gatherings
and walking around the pond.
She was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2004 and within less than a week had passed away. My whole family misses her.
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 C. shortening, margarine, or butter
- 2 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 C. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 C. pecans
- Cream shortening, margarine, or butter with the sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add flour, salt, and soda. Mix well.
- Fold in nuts.
- Drop from spoon onto greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool for about 1 minute and then remove to wire racks to completely cool.
Store in an airtight container.