Don't let his dislike of the cake and zucchini discourage you from trying this delicious cake. He is such a fussy eater.
I really enjoyed this cake. In fact I took pieces of it as a lunchtime treat. It is so yummy!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Stars of the recipe:
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/6 c. oil (I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. buttermilk (I used 1/2 c. milk + 1 Tbsp. vinegar)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cloves (Instead of cinnamon and cloves, I used Chinese 5 spice.)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 - 1/3 c. white whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 C. shredded zucchini (I patted it dry with a paper towel to remove some of the liquid.)
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Cream together, applesauce, oil, and sugars. (If you don't have buttermilk, make the milk and vinegar mixture. Allow it to curdle.)
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the eggs and sour milk or buttermilk to the sugar applesauce mixture.
- Then gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. Stir to combine.
- Add the zucchini. And then stir it until incorporated.
- Pour into a greased 9 by 13 pan and then sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the cake.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.