Sep 15, 2013

Homemade Applesauce

I'm so proud of myself.  Today we were given a chance to go apple picking at one of our fellow church member's houses.  We could take as much as we wanted which is totally cool.  The Imaginative One is a fussy eater but loves his apples and applesauce.  So I jumped at the chance.  

We picked a lot of apples and made memories with the boys.  The Imaginative One ended up getting stung by a bee but was happy because the apples were absolutely delicious.  That made up for his finger being stung.  

Once we got home, I washed some of the less attractive ones.  Then I peeled and cut them into smaller pieces.  I placed into one of my bigger pots, covered the apples with water, and cooked them for half and hour.  The boys then helped me puree the apples in the blender for a smoother applesauce.  The end result was a delicious applesauce.

So why am I proud of myself.  I made homemade applesauce that I know the boys will eat.  I made memories with the boys.  We picked the apples and within 2.5 hours I had applesauce.  That is why I'm proud of myself.

Homemade Smooth Applesauce


IMG_0576[1]

Stars of the recipe:

  • 3 to 4 pounds of apples, peeled and quartered (or cut smaller)

  • cinnamon to taste or cinnamon sticks

  • water

  • sugar to taste (1/4 to 3/4 c.)


Steps:

  1. Wash, peel, and cut apples.

  2. Place in a big pot and then cover with water.  Sprinkle with cinnamon or put in the cinnamon sticks.

  3. Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat on to high.

  4. Allow the water to boil and then turn to medium low.

  5. Cook until apples are tender.

  6. Either use a food mill or a blender to puree the apples.  (We used the blender.  When we did, we used the apples and some of the cooking water.)

  7. Place in a bowl.  Sprinkle with more cinnamon and sugar to taste.

  8. Enjoy warm or cooled down.


[gallery ids="4316,4317,4318,4319,4320"]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!