So when we had pinto beans and ham for supper, he was a happy camper. I needed something to serve with the pinto beans and ham so I decided to bake up some cornbread. I made them the northern way which is more cake like.
The Wee One and Hubby both gave thumbs up when they tried the cornbread.
adapted from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures
Stars of the recipe:
- 1-1/4 c. flour
- 3/4 c. corn meal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. shortening
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the milk, shortening, and egg to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour into a greased 8 by 8 pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Enjoy with butter, syrup, or honey!
Or follow steps 1 through 4. While you are making the batter, place a cast iron skillet with a tablespoon of butter in the oven. When the butter is melted, place the batter in the skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes.