Sep 9, 2010

Aunt Janet's Pecan Tarts

These pecan tarts envoke a lot of memories when I eat these.  I can remember going to her farm with my grandparents for family get togethers.  I can visualize food being laid out on the island in the kitchen or members of the family either sitting outside eating their dinner or sitting around their dining room table.  I can see their pond with the weeping willow right by the driveway and the pine trees around the perimeter of the pond. 

Many times these get togethers involved my great aunt making these delicious pecan tarts.  We lost another member of our family to cancer this past weekend.  Since then, I was thinking about these pecan tarts because they remind me of my family and growing up; however, I couldn't remember where I put the recipe.

This evening, I decided to cut out some box top for educaiton labels.  When I opened the drawer that I kept those box tops in, I found the recipe for the pecan tarts.  I had put it in there so I wouldn't lose it.

To make the pastry:



  • 1/2 c. butter softened

  • 1 3oz. package cream cheese, softened

  • 1 c. flour



  1. Mix ingredients well, chill. 

  2. Form into 24 small balls and place in lightly buttered (or sprayed with cooking spray) muffin tins.  I use the mini muffin tin.

  3. Chill again. 

  4. Shape with thumb and press against up to fit bottom and up the sides.


To Make the filling:



  • dash of salt

  • 1 tsp. butter, softened

  • 1 egg

  • 2/3 c. chopped pecans

  • 3/4 c. brown sugar



  1. Add sugar to butter and mix well.

  2. Then add egg and salt.  Combine thoroughly.

  3. Add nuts; mix well.

  4. Fill tart shells 2/3 full.

  5. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is slightly brown. 

  6. Remove from pan while warm.


Makes 2 dozen.  These can be frozen.

For more great recipes, visit Potluck Sunday and Colleen's Kitchen Recipe Swap.

1 comment:

I enjoy hearing from you!