With fall around the corner and the pumpkin spice latte already at Starbucks, it's time to start my favorite flavor season. I love fall flavors! Apples, cranberries, and pumpkins, oh my goodness deliciousness. Cinnamon is my favorite spice. So if asked, my favorite seasons are the transition seasons - fall for it's bold flavors and spring for it's beauty.
I got some apples from one of our local produce stands so I decided to make myself an apple crisp. Since the boys do not eat apple crisp, I decided to make myself my own individual apple crisp. Instead of using cinnamon, I used the Chinese Five Spice.
Individual Five Spice Apple Crisp
Stars of the recipe:
- 2 c. glass dish
- 1 med. apple seeded and diced (peeled if you want to)
- 2 tsp. Chinese Five Spice (1 tsp. and 1 tsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. quick cooking oats
- 1/2 Tbsp. butter, cut into fourths or halves
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. pecan or walnuts for topping
- Spray your glass dish with cooking spray.
- Add the apples to the dish. Sprinkle the apples with 1 tsp. of Chinese five spice.
- In another dish, mix the oats, brown sugar, and the other tsp. of Chinese five spice.
- Evenly distribute the oat mixture over the apples.
- If you are using nuts on the top, sprinkle those on top of the oat mixture.
- Place the pats of butter over the oat mixture.
- Microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes. Careful it will be hot.
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.