Sep 6, 2013

Individual Five Spice Apple Crisp

Last November my foodie pen pal introduced me to Chinese five spice and suggested I use it in some of my fall time recipes instead of pumpkin pie spice blend.  The five spice really does take it up a notch.  If you didn't know, Chinese five spice is a spice blend of cinnamon, star anise, white pepper, cloves, and fennel.  It's primarily used in Chinese cooking but is found in other cuisines.  

With fall around the corner and the pumpkin spice latte already at Starbucks, it's time to start my favorite flavor season.  I love fall flavors!  Apples, cranberries, and pumpkins, oh my goodness deliciousness.  Cinnamon is my favorite spice.  So if asked, my favorite seasons are the transition seasons - fall for it's bold flavors and spring for it's beauty.

I got some apples from one of our local produce stands so I decided to make myself an apple crisp.  Since the boys do not eat apple crisp, I decided to make myself my own individual apple crisp.  Instead of using cinnamon, I used the Chinese Five Spice.

Individual Five Spice Apple Crisp


[gallery ids="4292,4293"]

Stars of the recipe:

  • 2 c. glass dish

  • 1 med. apple seeded and diced (peeled if you want to)

  • 2 tsp. Chinese Five Spice (1 tsp. and 1 tsp.)

  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar

  • 1/4 c. quick cooking oats

  • 1/2 Tbsp. butter, cut into fourths or halves

  • Optional:  2 Tbsp. pecan or walnuts for topping


Steps:

  1. Spray your glass dish with cooking spray.

  2. Add the apples to the dish.  Sprinkle the apples with 1 tsp. of  Chinese five spice.

  3. In another dish, mix the oats, brown sugar, and the other tsp. of Chinese five spice.

  4. Evenly distribute the oat mixture over the apples.

  5. If you are using nuts on the top, sprinkle those on top of the oat mixture.

  6. Place the pats of butter over the oat mixture.

  7. Microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes.  Careful it will be hot.

  8. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.

  9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!