Apr 1, 2014

Kitchen Tip Tuesday - DIY Seasonings and chili seasoning (new recipe)

Making your own seasoning mixes is very economic.  Plus you can adjust the amount of a certain spice if you don't like that spice.  You can also admit spices.  I've been making taco seasoning for a few years because Hubby doesn't like store bought taco seasonings.

You can find glass containers to put your seasoning mix at places like Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  You can also use Mason Jars (4 oz or 8 oz size).  Another idea is reuse jars from spaghetti, salsa, or even peanut butter.  If you have Tupperware containers, you can also use those.

One of my foodie pen pals sent me a sweet and spicy spice mix in a Crystal Light container.  I thought that was pretty cool. 

If you are going to make a lot of seasoning mix for holiday gifts, the best thing to do is to buy spices in bulk.  When I buy in bulk, I get it from it from Sam's Club.

Here is a recipe for Chili Seasoning:


Chili Seasoning

(I reused my Hershey's spread container.)


Stars of the recipe:
  • 1/2 c. dried parsley flakes
  • 1/2 c. chili powder
  • 1/4 c. dried minced onions
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp. dried basil
  • 2 tsp. paprika
Steps:
  1. Combine all the ingredients in an airtight container.
  2. Use 3 Tbsp. of seasoning mixture in your favorite chili recipe.
Other seasoning recipes:

Hot Chocolate Mix (Not a seasoning mix but still is economical to make your own.)


Happy eating, Traci

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!